Let’s face it, during the holidays we all cheat and eat totally sugary foods. And chocolate sweets are absolutely my favorite way to cheat. Not that I feel that guilty honestly anyway, but this recipe is a (slightly) less-guilty version of a childhood classic, muddy buddies! For those of you who don’t know what I’m talking about (or who call these another name), this snack is a delicious combination of chocolate, peanut butter, cereal, and sugar. Sounds healthy right? Well, maybe not. But, I promise these things are delicious and totally addictive.
- 9 C of whole grain “chex” – I use barbara’s brand because they are lower in sugar
- 1 C pecans
- 3/4 C dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 C almond butter
- 1 T butter unsalted
- 1/2 C chocolate protein powder
- 1/2 C powdered sugar
1. In a large bowl, combine cereal and nuts.
2. In a separate bowl, melt together almond butter, chocolate chips, and butter. I did this in the microwave.
3. Combine with cereal and mix thoroughly. You really want to get the chocolate on as many pieces as possible.
4. Immediately coat with the protein powder and sugar. I did this by simply hand mixing them in a bowl. You can also just place them in a large ziploc bag and shake vigorously.
5. Place on a wax paper lined baking sheet and refrigerate for 1 hour.
6. Enjoy! They also make cute gifts in small mason jars.