I first published this post in 2012, but decided to update the recipe a little bit. Enjoy!
I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE all things lemon. You can almost always find a bag of sour patch stashed somewhere in my room because I crave sour flavors constantly! These bars have (in my opinion) the perfect amount of sour and sweet and are super easy to make.
Recipe for crust:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Combine butter, vanilla, 1/4 C sugar, 1 C flour and press into an 8 x 8 pan or a tart pan with a removable base. I prefer tart pans because they are prettier! Leave a little edge around the side.
3. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown and then remove from oven.
Recipe for filling:
1. Combine the lemon juice, eggs, 3/4 C sugar, and 1/8 C flour in a bowl and whisk so there are no clumps. This is super important or your bars will have an off-putting texture.
2. Pour on top of the crust and bake through for 20 minutes.
3. Let them cool completely before you slice! I always try and slice these too early because I LOVE them and it causes a huge mess (as seen below.)
**No idea where this recipe is adapted from. I know I changed the proportion of flour and added the vanilla because its been scribbled into a notebook of mine from forever ago**