Mocha Mousse Tart (gluten free!)
My lovely friend Rebecca just turned 26 and I wanted to make her something delicious and sweet. This tart is gluten-free (though it doesn’t have to be) and not overly sweet. Plus it’s a pretty quick and easy dessert to make.
- 2/3 C melted butter + extra to grease pans
- 2 C graham crackers
- 2/3 C + 4 T cocoa
- 5 T warm water
- 1 t vanilla
- 4 ounces bitter sweet or dark chocolate
- 2 C cold heavy cream
- 3 T sugar
- 1/2 t. salt
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1/4 C black coffee
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Combine graham crackers, 2/3 C cocoa powder, and melted butter in a bowl.
3. Press into two 9 inch tart pans (preferably with removable bases) and bake for 12 minutes. When they are done baking, remove them from the oven and immediately top with the semisweet chocolate morsels so they melt.
4. In a bowl combine coffee, water, cocoa powder, and vanilla. Whisk together so no clumps form.
5. Melt the bitter sweet chocolate in the microwave. Then add to the cocoa powder mixture to form a chocolate sauce and set aside.
6. In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whip together the heavy cream, sugar, and salt until it forms thick peaks.
7. Fold in the cooled chocolate slowly into the whipped cream. Do not over mix, or your mousse will be runny and watery. Split into the two tart pans and refrigerate for 30 mins before serving. Top with berries or chocolate shavings for decoration and enjoy!
Loosely adapted from this tri-level tart recipe.