For some reason, people are trying to convince me that autumn has come and summer is over. I refuse to accept this (though the arrival of pumpkin spice lattes at Starbucks does make me question my resolve.) I really do love summer and am trying to hold out on accepting the arrival of cold weather for as long as possible. Though, let’s be serious, I live in California and it doesn’t get all that cold anyway. Yes, I am spoiled.
Anyway this watermelon salad is a great way to use the bounty of summer watermelons. It is SUPER easy and really refreshing. I highly recommend it for an afternoon BBQ or picnic.
- 2 Cups diced seedless watermelon
- 5-8 mint leaves (chiffonade)
- 1 T crumbled feta
- 1 t aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 C arugula (optional)
Recipe: (this hardly counts as a recipe since it is pretty much just mixing)
1. Cut mint chiffonade (tiny ribbons) by simply rolling them into a bundle and slicing
2. Combine watermelon, mint, and feta.
3. Drizzle with aged balsamic vinegar. I got an amazing 25 year old Sonoma aged balsamic at a farmers market in LA. The better the balsamic, the less you have to use to get a sweet yet pungent flavor.
4. Serve on a bed of arugula (to make it more filling) or on its own for a great refreshing snack!