Happy New Year! I hope all of your winter holidays were as memorable as mine. I was able to make a quick trip to India for the wedding of a close friend and then travel through Indonesia with two very close high school friends of mine. I had a ton of family in town for the new year which was great and was the co-champion of a highly competitive family jenga tournament. All-in-all it was a great few weeks. To be honest, I was just too busy to really sit down and think about my blog, but it’s the new year and I’m back!
In case you all weren’t aware, the SF 49ers just has an epic victory over Aaron Rodgers and the Greenbay Packers on Saturday!!! I was lucky enough to be part of a HUGE 20+ person tailgate at the ‘stick on Saturday before the game and wanted to make sure there was something sweet to add to the traditional bbq menu. I saw an awesome post on another blog about cute hockey jersey’s and thought I could definitely do the same thing for the niners! This cookie recipe is a little different than the one that blog uses, but any sugar cookie recipe will work. Check them out!
Royal Icing Ingredients:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
2. Cream together the sugar and butter.
3. Add in flour, salt, baking powder, eggs, and vanilla and combine thoroughly.
4. Chill dough in the fridge for 15 minutes and flour a clean surface to roll out dough. Roll out and cut jersey shapes using cookie cutters. I used this set from Wilton.
5. Bake for 8 minutes and allow to cool completely on a cookie rack.
6. Combine meringue powder, sugar, and water. Separate into bowls and color with food coloring to create your team colors!
7. I recommend doing one solid color on the cookie (I used white) and allowing them to set completely before piping details like names and jersey numbers (in red) but don’t be scared to be creative!! I couldn’t resist throwing in some key players from our glorious 49er history. Go Niners!!!!