Asparagus Emmentaler Tart
Last week, while perusing twitter for new recipes, I came across a recipe for a goat cheese, bacon, and asparagus tart. I absolutely loved the idea of using asparagus in a tart recipe. Since I don’t eat bacon (yuck), I thought it might be fun to create a version with asparagus and substitute the goat cheese with a different, saltier cheese. I choose Emmentaler- a hard, swiss, lightly salty cheese that melts well when heated.
This tart would make a great party appetizer and was really delicious and easy to make!
- 1 C shredded emmanteler
- 1/2 T olive oil
- 1 puff pastry sheet (8.5 x 11 inch)
- 30 spears of asparagus
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 t red pepper flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
2. Lay out puff pastry on a foil lined baking sheet. Lightly mark a 1/2 inch border around the sheet and pierce the center with a fork several times to avoid puffing! Bake for 10 minutes.
3. Remove from over and gently flatten out center with the back of the fork. Spread garlic and cheese over the center.
4. Trim asparagus to the width of the center of the puff pastry. Spread asparagus across alternating directions.
5. Top with olive oil, salt, pepper, and red chili flakes.
6. Bake for 12 minutes until golden brown. Slice and serve while warm!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes