In my book Valentine’s day is just a good excuse to eat tons of sweets and chocolate and drink pretty girly pink cocktails. Here is the recipe for some sugar cookies (that my lab is getting to try)
- 2.5 C Flour (All-purpose)
- 2 C sugar
- 1 C butter (at room temp)
- 1 T vanilla
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 egg
- 4 T buttermilk
- Frosting (I will give a few variations of frosting recipes in an upcoming post!)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. Cream together butter, sugar, vanilla, and then add in the egg and beat on low.
3. Add in all dry ingredients slowly to mixer and combine
4. Add in buttermilk to give it a sticky consistancy
5. Refrigerate for 30 minutes (or more) so that the dough is easier to handle
6. Use powdered sugar to coat a cutting board and roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Use your favorite cookie cutter to cut into cute Valentine’s day shapes. I used two different heart cutters.
**Note if it is still too sticky to work with at 30 minutes put it back in the fridge or bake it in a 1/4 flat pan and then cut it after it has baked.
7. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack and then cool completely before frosting.
8. Decorate with your favorite combination of frosting, sprinkles (I used edible pearls) and sparkles (I used edible glitter available at Michaels)