Muhammarra is a dip originally from Syria. Its a delicious mix of pomegranate, red pepper, and walnuts and really is a great combination of sweet and tangy with an amazing textural composition. My friend Christina (& her mom) make an amazing version of this dip that I am absolutely obsessed with. I created a recipe based on the recipe they shared and this recipe; I feel that this is the perfect make up for this dip in both texture and flavor. It’s a great party appetizer to serve with veggies or pita!
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 C walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 T pomegranate molasses
- 1/4 C breadcrumbs
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/4 C water
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- 1 t cumin
1. Puree water and bell pepper together.
2. Mix in almost all of the walnuts and all other ingredients except the pomegranate molasses and olive oil.
3. Add in olive oil and pomegranate molasses and combine thoroughly! This is important because the pomegranate is sweet so if eaten alone can be overwhelming.
4. Top with remaining walnuts and serve!